08 Jun

History

(0 votes)

The church was probably founded in the twelfth century, as evidenced by several documents. The apses and the sculptural decorations have been attributed instead to the next century. The church was born on the harbor, probably with its own dock, outside the city walls (which will include all the port only with the expansion of the city built by Frederick II).
Although the tradition wants the church linked to the Order Templar, built inside their Hospitable, is very likely to affect the church of the colony of merchants of Ravello, in very large cities in the Middle Ages, as evidenced by a 1170 bequest of a vineyard to the church by the notary Ravello Orso Rogadeo and patronage, in later times, to the original families of Ravello. During the first phase of his life, the church was probably a place of blessing for the Crusaders departing from Trani to the Holy Land. Next to the church there was in fact a narrow street called Angiporto, leading directly to the sea and which was finally closed in the nineteenth century.
The church was ruled by several abbots of an unspecified monastic community until the fifteenth century, when it became the property of the bishop of Conversano, Paolo de Turcolis, and later of his nephew. In 1479 it was donated to Peter Lambertini, father of the jurist Cesare Lambertini: the family, as already mentioned original Ravello, kept the patronage on the sanctuary until 1780, although for a short period in the sixteenth century is attested the patronage of other families Ravello, as Rogadeo and Achonzaico, whose coats of arms, along with that of the family Lambertini, are carved in bas-relief on the upper door of the sacristy.
Due to the transfer of the cult of the souls in Purgatory in the early nineteenth century, the Church of All Saints has taken since then the popular name of the Church of Purgatory. Also during this period the church became home to several brotherhoods: the first Confraternity of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows and then, following the destruction of the church, the Confraternity of the Annunziata. The church was one of the parishes of the city from 1932 to 1975, while in the 80s it was the seat of the Franciscan Third Order. Subsequently closed, it was in the second half of the 90 restored and reopened for worship.

Read 549 times Last modified on Monday, 08 June 2015 10:41

Get in touch

  • All Saints Church
  • Via Ognissanti, 45
  • 76125 Trani (BT) - Italy
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Rector: Don Giorgio Del Vecchio

Business hours

  • closed for restoration